My dad is from Trinidad and I remember eating stewed chicken pretty much every weekend. Between that and baked chicken, it was the most common meat in the house.
I’ve been toying with the recipe since in college. It wasn’t until some point last year when my mother in law gave me the Naparima Girl’s Highschool Cookbook (the BEST Caribbean cookbook out there!) and I started to solidify the recipe using some of my own flare here and there.
If you’ve never tried this recipe, now’s the time. It’s delicious!! 🙂
- Seasoned Chicken
- 3 carrots
- Mango Ginger Chutney
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 can of kidney beans
- About 2 cups of water
- Skin and chop carrots
- Chop cabbage
- Pour oil into pan and add brown sugar
- Allow sugar to cook about 10 minutes while stirring occasionally until it becomes a dark brown color
- Place chicken in the pan to brown on each side – about 10 min per side (depending on how big your peices of chicken are)
- Once both sides are brown, add about a cup of water to the pot along with the kidney beans.
- Allow it to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- After this add the carrots, cabbage, and the mango chutney to the pot.
- Leave everything to simmer for another 20 min and then…YOU’RE DONE!
The BEST things to eat this with (in my opinion of course lol) is white rice, rice and peas, or macaroni pie. I’ve also had it with egg noodles, or alone with the addition of potatoes tossed in the pot at the same time as the kidney beans!
If you try it, be sure to tag me in your photo.