WHAT ARE YOU FEEDING YOUR MARRIAGE?
I believe that marriage is something that is ALIVE and that needs certain “nutrients” in order for it to flourish as it should. With that being said, the opposite also applies too – if we’re not giving or “feeding” our marriage with the proper nutrients, it’ll have no other choice but to wither and die.
Lately, I’ve been on a mission to better myself in all areas including being a wife and a mom. I’m being very intentional about conditioning my mind to understand that, even though my son is [already] the light of my life, he will never and can never come before my husband and I need to be intentional about making this fact known BEFORE he physically makes his entrance. Here are a few things that I’m doing to feed my marriage with things that will give it no choice but to grow:
- Educating Myself – Even though I’m not in school, learning still happens on an every day basis! I’ve been bombarding my brain with all things marriage – books, podcasts, articles, etc. Some of them are great, some are so-so, but because I’m constantly feeding myself these things, they cause me to be more aware of how to make small and/or big changes in my marriage for the better.
- Say “I Love You” Often – It’s one of the simplest things that my husband and I do but I think it may carry the most weight. Words are SOOOO important and they literally can create whatever atmosphere you desire. We want a constant atmosphere of love and therefore we are intentional about saying “I love you” on a regular basis. I’ve found that even when I’m mad, because we say those three magic words so often, I can’t stay upset for too long because I know that my love for him triumphs whatever I’m angry about.
- Pray Together – Hubby and I aren’t the best at doing this consistently, but most recently we’ve made a habit of praying together before we leave the house. Another small gesture, but it literally brings us closer together every time we hold hands, bow our heads, and pray before we start our morning outside the home. Prayer has definitely strengthened our bond as a couple.
- Watch Family Focused TV Shows – I know this is VERY cheesy but hubby and I enjoy watching shows that foster family love and growth. Now, don’t get me wrong, we also LOVE other shows such as “Scandal” and “Grey’s Anatomy” but we make a point to feed our marriage with shows/programs that focus on family values and that lead us to conversations about what we want for our family. Right now, our family show of choice is “Parenthood” on Netflix. We’re OBSESSED!
- Friendships With Other Married Couples – I by NO MEANS think it’s horrible to be friends with those who are single, but I definitely believe that you should make it your duty to have a good amount of friends who are married and who you talk to on a regular basis. Proverbs 27:17 states “As iron sharpens iron, so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend” and this reigns true when it comes to marriage. When you surround yourself with Christian, married couples, it’s inevitable for you all to help each other grow and improve in each of your marriages. I’m blessed to say that I have a number of married women who I can talk to and married couples who my hubby and I can talk to and hang out with together.
These are just a few ways that you can feed positivity into your marriage. If you have any other ideas PLEASE feel free to comment below so that we can all make strides to enhance our marriages!
Love you all dearly – until next time…<3 🙂